GIFT IDEAS FROM SELF-EMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE BUSINESSES
With Father’s Day looming and Christmas to think about, we’ve curated this special roundup of gifts any bloke (and in most cases, any lady!) would love. All the beautiful products you see here are available from Australian small businesses who got their start with the Self-Employment Assistance, previously known as the NEIS program. Please check with individual sellers for opening hours, shipping options and delivery time.
1. The Traveler’s Delight backpack. Beautifully embellished with colourful African fabric, this sturdy backpack has a padded interior and cotton lining to ensure your belongings are well protected. From Classicafricana in Perth, Western Australia.
2. Swiss Brown Mushroom finishing salt. Add a distinct flavour and nuttiness to all kinds of meat and veggie dishes. This salt blend is seasonal and made in a very limited batch, so grab some before it’s all gone! Made by A Pinch Of in Tasmania.
3. The One Thousand & Ninety Two Shaving Set. This set contains a double edge razor, silvertip shave brush and stylish stand in a chrome and ash wood finish. Also available in black resin. From Men’s Biz, who have stores in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and online. Read the Men’s Biz story in our blog post.
4. Baxter of California beard and moustache comb. From cutting to polishing, each of these combs goes through a detailed 12-step process of manufacturing – all done by hand. Made in Switzerland and available from Men’s Biz, who have stores in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and online. Read the Men’s Biz story in our blog post.
5. Tabula Rasa ‘Steam Punk’ Shaving Soap Bowl. Luxurious handmade coconut butter and mango butter shave soap, scented with cedarwood, violet, lime and musk. Made in Berlin, and available from Men’s Biz,who have stores in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and online. Read the Men’s Biz story in our blog post.
6. Rock candy skull pop. Available in single or triple sets, these spooky pops are vegan and available in many flavours and colours. Handmade by the Red Balloon candy Artisans, who have a store in Prahran (Melbourne) and online. Read the Candy Artisans story in our blog post.
7. Reusable stone coffee cup with food-safe silicone lid. Check with Sally for availability as these gorgeous cups are literally flying out the door! Perfect for popping in your handbag, man-bag or bike pannier. They come with a handy hand-stamped cotton carry bag. By NSW ceramicist Sally Flannery.
8. ‘Mister Meyers’ high school laboratory microscope / table lamp. This unique, handcrafted piece features black twisted cable, an E27 Antique Edison Screw bulb and inline switch. With fully adjustable lamp direction angle, this is sure to bring charm to any room. Made to order by Upswitch in Brunswick, Melbourne. Read the Upswitch story in our blog post.
9. Dirty Doug’s Smokey BBQ sauce. Dirty Doug’s Essentials is a small batch business making delicious condiments, using some of the Yarra Valley’s freshest produce. Their Smokey BBQ Sauce features local fresh tomatoes and onion as a base and has a nice smokey warm heat. Dirty Dougs Essentials sell at markets around Victoria, stockists (in Vic and QLD) and online. Read Dirty Doug’s story in our blog post.
10. ‘Love Apple’ folded gift card. Hand screen-printed on 100% Australian post-consumer recycled paper. Made, printed and designed in Australia, using solvent free, non-toxic inks. From Susie-Lotta Designs who sell at markets in Adelaide, and on Etsy. Read the Susie-Lotta story in our blog post.
11. Custom pet portrait. Immortalise your beloved pet in a custom artwork by skilled artist Kyles Honeyman. Contact Kyles for more information, and also check out her traditional gallery for her beautiful animal paintings.
All these businesses used the free Self-Employment Assistance Program, previously known as NEIS to get started. Do you have a great business idea too? For more info on the Self-Employment Assistance program, use the postcode search tool to find your nearest Self-Employment Assistance provider.